Attending any class or group as a new parent is a daunting and nerve-wracking experience for some, particularly when you don’t know what to expect.
Here, I’ll set the scene for what you can expect from your first (and following) baby massage classes.
And remember……. Everyone is in the same boat!
Baby Massage classes are all about you and your baby and the instructor should do all they can to make each and every parent and baby feel as comfortable and at ease as possible.
- You’ll arrive at the venue and be signposted/directed to the relevant room where your class will be held.
- The instructor will be waiting for you and the room will be set up, ready for your arrival and the start of the class.
- The temperature in the room should be warm, at all times of year, to enable you to undress your baby for the massage.
The class should be designed and delivered in a relaxed and friendly manner, allowing you and your baby to feel completely comfortable and relaxed. Please don’t worry if your baby cries, needs a nappy change/feed or even falls asleep! This is totally normal! And remember, the instructor has seen all of this before! Just do what you need to do to settle/tend to your baby, even if this means leaving the room – there is no pressure or expectations.
- Depending on when you arrive, you should have some time before the class to chat with the instructor and other parents – this is a great time to introduce yourself (although there will be time for this at the beginning of the class!) and get accustomed to new surroundings.
- Once everyone has arrived (Again, please don’t worry if you are running late or arrive once the class has started! This is not school! Just come in and get yourself comfortable!) the instructor will introduce themselves, the class and the strokes you will be working on in the session.
- All strokes are provided in your information pack and so you can either follow from this or watch the instructor perform them on her doll. If your child is asleep, dolls are available for you to practice on.
- We will work through the massages slowly, ensuring your babies are comfortable and happy and allowing you some quiet, comfortable bonding time with your baby through the massages – after all, this is what these classes are all about!
- As we work on the massages and work through techniques, feel free to chat to each other or ask questions, we want you to get the most out of these classes as you possibly can!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions or for support throughout the session – the instructor is here to support you!
- The class generally comes to a natural end as we complete the strokes for that session, but there is no rush to leave! Feel free to stay and chat, to each other, as a group, to the instructor or ask to speak to the instructor privately if you wish.
These are your classes and you should be able to use them and gain advice, confidence and support as you wish throughout your course.